Monday, December 13, 2010

Praising God When My Shirts Don't Fit


This past week, I've probably whined a little more than usual...

After all, at week 19, there are some definite changes going on in my body. Yet, I'm still at that awkward inbetween stage. I definitely don't fit into my normal clothes, but I also can't quite fill out maternity wear yet. And the most frustrating part? The pants aren't even what I'm having trouble with! The shirts are what is giving me such a hard time. (If someone would create a line of clothing for this stage in pregnancy, you'd be a millionaire. So there's the idea - totally free - Someone, please run with it! And the only payment I want is free clothes whenever I'm pregnant!) :)

Each time I have to get dressed in something other than my sweats, it takes me twice as long to get ready. I promise...things that fit me just last week are no longer remotely flattering! Not to mention, being heavier & paler at the same time isn't fun for anyone. Don't get me wrong - I've NEVER stopped being thankful for being pregnant, and I am so excited Noah is on his way, but just being honest about some of my petty...but genuine... struggles.

So in the midst of my whining, I got a phone call from my sister that put an abrupt stop to my pity party.

A dear friend of ours that we grew up with in Germantown, Tennessee, is burying one of her 19 month old twins today. When Alicia went to go wake up Evie and Ramsey last Friday morning, she found that Evie had died in her sleep. Not only is this tragic enough in itself, but this also stirs up her previous pain from already losing a child. A few years ago, she gave birth to a child that only lived a few days.

I just can't imagine...

I was reminded of Job. In Job 1, we learn how Job's life basically falls apart. He loses his family, his livestock, his home... all he is really left with is his faith. In the midst of his tragedy:

At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship 21 and said:

“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
and naked I will depart.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised.”

22 In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

Job 1:20-22

Trusting God when it hurts...

Trusting God when you can't see how He could possible be in whatever you're going through...

I once heard a pastor say, "When you can't see God's hand, trust His heart." As true as that teaching is, it still doesn't make it easy to follow.

Needless to say, it's given me a new perspective when I can't find clothes in my closet that fit. In fact, I find myself praising God when I have to find a new outfit to wear...even if it is the 3rd or 4th one I've tried on.

I hope this blog will encourage you to put life in real perspective, especially in the Christmas season. We have so much to be thankful for, and God is so good...even in the moments that we don't understand, like why He needed Evie Grace more than her earthly family.

Please join our family in prayers for Alicia, her husband, Jonathan, and Evie's twin sister, Ramsey.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for your friends' loss :( What a tragedy.

    On the clothes note - if you have an H&M near you, I have found that they were the best choice of clothing for me during the in-between stage - they have tons of tunic style tops and cotton tees that are long and stretchy - for a great price too!

    ReplyDelete