Sunday, November 21, 2010

Pretty & Pregnant


Now 16 weeks pregnant, I'm to the point where you can tell I've gained weight. After 4 months, I should have gained some! I still don't feel like I look pregnant, but my stomach is definitely not as flat as it normally is. Since the day I found out I was pregnant, I've been faithfully praying that I would handle the weight gain gracefully - not stressing out over it, but just enjoying this time, knowing that thanks to my awesome job, I know how to get the weight off when that time comes.

However, I've been amazed by the words certain people have used to describe me...to my face...especially those who know that I struggled with an eating disorder during college. I thought it might be helpful to take this time to post some suggestions when speaking to pregnant women in your life. :)

It's really very simple.

Take every opportunity you can to remind her how pretty she is. During pregnancy, a woman's body goes through so many changes, she can't even keep up! It's like those insecure adolescent years...as far as bodily changes go, pregnancy is a similar time. She needs encouragement during this time that she is beautiful -- After all, there's nothing in this world more beautiful than the gift of a child.

Feel free to be creative and use your own favorite word, but here some suggestions to get you started: beautiful, charming, cute, darling, delightful, elegant, glowing, lovely, gorgeous...

Avoid any negative comment about her changing appearance. She knows she's gained weight. Even if you don't mean it in a negative way, she doesn't need you to point that out. It's as much of an adjustment for her when she puts her clothes on in the morning or looks in the mirror. Unless you are using obvious words like "pregnant," "expecting" or "with child," it's probably a good idea to stick with the words from the first list if you'd like to make a comment.

In addition to the weight gain, many women struggle with the fact that they may have paler skin, increased fatigue, acne, or dark circles under their eyes. Again, it seems like it would be common sense not to bring these things up in conversation...but again...you'd be surprised what I've either had said to me or heard said to a pregnant friend.

Words to Avoid: big, bulging, chunky, full, large, plump, fat, pudgy, round, sickly, swollen, tired, pale, exhausted, worn out...Just remember: while some of those words may be true, it's probably not the most uplifting thing that could come out of your mouth! :)

That's it! See? Told you - it's simple!

We find out if Baby Myers is a boy or girl in 9 days! We are so excited to see our little prince/princess again. He/she's gone through quite a growth spurt since our last sonogram at 10 weeks. Stay tuned!





2 comments:

  1. I think this post is awesome! I think in general people just need to learn to think before they speak:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! And PLEASE don't ask a pg woman how much weight have they gained so far! I've been asked this twice (once by a family member & recently by a co-worker). What's it to them anyway? The family member proceeded to tell me that she was calling another pg family member "chubby" because she was so sensitive about the weight she had gained so far. It took all my strength not to smack her for saying that. I just politely informed her to not mention that word around me.

    To me, it's common sense (and MANNERS) to keep silent about the weight thing. Let alone the fun acne & other ailments that happen to our appearance.

    Ok, I'm done :) Thanks again for posting this!

    ReplyDelete